Last night the South African Mommy Blogger Awards celebrated and supported SA’s Mom bloggers by awarding bloggers in 19 categories. Rose & Thorns won Best Photography Blog 2017 and I am totally over the moon with gratitude and excitement. I’ve said it so many times before, but it bears repeating, I doubt any blogger joins the community to get recognized but when it does happen, it’s such an awesome feeling. Thank you One Messy Mama, Jacqui Bester, and all the sponsors and judges for giving us this platform.
How the awards happened:
Bloggers entered into three categories of their choice (out of a total of 19 categories), and submitted links to two of their posts for each category. Unlike the other awards that are around, the winners of these awards were determined by a panel of independent judges.
It was not a popularity contest. It didn’t matter how many likes and shares you were able to generate. The winners were be chosen by judges
- Pabi Maloi
- Brent Lindeque
- Bailey Schnieder
- Lorraine Kearney
and it was based on the quality of content produced. This meant that even if you were a complete newbie, your work stood on the same level as a blogging veteran because it was all about the content.
Here are the 19 deserving winners:
1. Best Foodie – Mama Chef Jozi
2. Best Travel – 3 Kids, 2 Dogs, and 1 Old House
3. Best Writer – ChevsLife
4. Best Tear-Jerker – Disney Mom Blog
5. Best Wisdom Giver – Baby Guide For The Modern Mother
6. Best Socia Media – Choose A Row
7. Best Rising Star – My Daily Cake
8. Best Inspiration – A Million Beautiful Pieces
9. Best Comedian – Tonic and Tiaras
10. Best Parenting – Modern Zulu Mom
11. Best New Voice – Mommy Explores
12. Best Photography – Rose and Thorns
13. Best Business – Generally Social
14. Best Beauty – For The Beauty Of It
15. Best Craft – In These Stilleto’s
16. Best Education – Heart Mama Blog
17. BEST BLOG 2017 – Caffeine and Fairy Dust
For me, photography has become a growing passion ever since I turned 18 and I could buy myself my first canon dslr. When I got married, Mr H nurtured my gift, supporting me financially with better kit and plenty of time-off to go do photo shoots. I can’t wait to see what else 2018 holds for us, and to have more opportunities to capture special moments and beautiful people.
Here are some of my favorite photos of last year (some made it to the blog, others to social media):