There are so many wine-growing regions in the Western Cape. The Big boys like Stellenbosch & Franschhoek don’t need much in the way of an introduction but it’s the smaller, lesser known ones that sometimes offer the most delight.
Bot River is one of those special places that won my heart a few years ago. You’ll be hard-pressed to find a more relaxed, down-to-earth group of winemakers who always make you feel like one of the family. This is a wine route that moves at an almost horizontal pace and allows you to soak up the good times and wine without having to rush.
You can get to know them better from the 2nd – 4th September as they celebrate a new season with their annual Spring Weekend which promises you 11 wine farms, each showcasing something unique. Think olive oils, fresh produce, deli offerings, honest wines, farm fare, indigenous greenery and local talent – it will be a sumptuous showcase of Bot River’s brimming ‘pantry of delights’.
| “Bot River’s chilled approach to life and playful camaraderie amongst its winemakers is infectious and makes one feel part of the community almost instantaneously. As if our genuine hospitality is not enough to perk you up, the scenic drive to our Botriviera… guarantees to put the spring back into any jaded city dweller’s step,”
This heart shaped town offers far more than just fine wines and fresh air and it is during this weekend of homegrown goodness that visitors will experience its distinct, laid-back character and quirky, country charm whilst interacting with its amicable farm owners and winemakers.
The Bot River Spring Weekend kicks off in high spirits with a sommelier lead Bot River Magnum Magnificence at Beaumont Wine Estate, one of the oldest wine establishments in the area, on Friday, 2 September. Local producers will haul out their ‘big boys’ from the cupboards, for some of South Africa’s top sommeliers to match them with delectable pairings. Top end stuff!
On Saturday and Sunday (3 & 4 September) the farms dotted along this 10 km enclave – a mere hour’s drive from Cape Town – will be offering:
- A sausage making course at Luddite, famous for its technology-resistant winemaking philosophy. Here Genevieve MCC will also treat enthusiasts to Oysters & Bubbles all weekend long and have magnums of its newly released 2012 vintage on sale.
- Early birds can rise to a hearty breakfast at Goedvertrouw and avid outdoors fans can lace up for a guided fynbos hike amongst the Nguni Stud at Paardenkloof Estate where family picnics prevail.
- Nature lovers will also have a blast at the Ecology Lifestyle Farm, with specials on fynbos plants at their nursery and Paardenkloof wine tastings and pairings to coax the senses. Or why not fill your own picnic basket, with fresh farm goodies, all served up with live music and a petting zoo for the kids.
- Gabriëlskloof will be experimenting with tasty pickles and preserves in their kitchen, sell it in their deli and pair it with their elegant wines in the tasting room
- There will be a Pink Gin and Bubble Polo affair at Maramanna Polo Estate on the Saturday evening
And so much more!
Tickets are available at www.quicket.co.za and a weekend pass costs R100 per adult which includes a wine glass; an informative booklet to be collected at the tourism office opposite the local hotel, and two days of bountiful discoveries. For more information on the Bot River Spring Weekend 2016 contact Melissa Nelsen at Cell: 083 302 6562 or email Melissa@genevievemcc.co.za.
Limited tickets for the exclusive Magnum Tasting & Dinner at Beaumont cost R450 per person and include rare cellar releases, fabulous food and sheer sommelier excellence. Tickets for the Pink Gin and Bubble Polo sunset party which starts at 5pm cost R150 per head and include a welcome drink, a happy box of spring snacks and the bubble soccer action.
AND THE WINNER IS………Jenny C. Whooooohooooo.
To celebrate this awesome weekend, I’m giving one reader three bottles of delicious wine from one of my favorite wineries, Beaumont Wine Estate. Want to win these three bottles? Of course you do! To enter, simply do one (or all) of the following: Tweet Hey @shante_hutton I want to celebrate spring with @Beauwine and experience country charm at #BotRiverSpringWeekend (only one tweet per entrant) Comment on this blog post and let me know what you’re most looking forward to about spring (Competition closes 12th August and winners will be notified via this post. Unfortunately this competition is only open to those living in the Cape. Ts & Cs apply)